Cheesy Chicken Chowder

I was looking for a good chicken noodle soup recipe. I came across this creamy one from The Girl Who Ate Everything. I liked the soup very much, but it didn't seem like a traditional chicken noodle soup because it does not end up with the clear broth I am used to. Since the soup is thick and creamy and has potatoes, I have renamed this to Cheesy Chicken Chowder. The measurements listed here are halved from the original recipe. Even with the half measurements, this recipe still makes a lot of soup!

3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
6 C. water
6 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2-1 C. shredded chicken
1 stick butter
1/2 C. flour
4 oz. Cheez Whiz
1 C. egg noodles, cooked

Over medium heat in large pan, bring water and bouillon to boil. Add vegetables and partially cook them. In separate pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour to melted butter and cook for one minute until mixture is bubbly. When butter/flour mixture is smooth, add to vegetables. Turn heat to medium-low. Add Cheez Whiz and chicken. Simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked. Add egg noodles and serve.

Notes: I used Yukon gold potatoes. I used shredded chicken from three boneless, skinless chicken breasts (not sure how many cups of chicken that is). I had a 15-oz. jar of Cheez Whiz and meant to only use 4 oz. in the soup but miscalculated and used 8 oz. The soup still tasted fine, so adjust the amount of Cheez Whiz as desired. I also used 2 C. egg noodles. The soup was very thick when it was done so I added about 1 C. hot water to the soup at the end to make it less thick and to also cut down on the saltiness (the soup is very salty from the bouillon and Cheez Whiz). Add more or less water as needed until the soup is the desired consistency. I also seasoned the soup with pepper. The recipe didn't specify the size of the bouillon cubes, but they are the small cubes. I picked up a box of Knorr chicken bouillon which contains extra-large cubes. Luckily I noticed before I added all six cubes to the soup. Since the cubes were extra-large cubes, I only used three. When I make the soup again, I will probably only use five regular-sized bouillon cubes or two extra-large cubes to minimize the sodium content.

No comments: