Pineapple Cake

Several years ago I went on a cruise to Hawaii. One night at dinner there were two appealing options for dessert: something chocolate and a pineapple cake. Even though I knew I could order both desserts, my stomach could only handle one, so I chose the chocolate dessert thinking that surely the pineapple cake would be offered another night. My nephew ordered the pineapple cake and said that it was the best thing he had ever eaten in his life. Of course the cake never was offered again and to this day he adds salt to the wound by reminding me of how delicious it was (I am still not sure if the cake was really that delicious or he just wants to annoy me). A few weeks ago a co-worker brought this pineapple cake to share. It is very light and moist and is so easy to make. My nephew said it was comparable to the cruise cake.

1 box yellow cake mix
1 20-oz. can crushed pineapple
1 11-oz. can mandarin oranges
2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1 8-oz. container Cool Whip, thawed

Mix yellow cake mix, 1 cup of crushed pineapple with juice, mandarin oranges (with juice), 1 box of pudding, and 4 eggs for 3-4 minutes.

Pour into 9x13 cake pan prepared with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Allow cake to cool.

Mix remaining crushed pineapple and juice with remaining box of vanilla pudding. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread over cake. Keep cake refrigerated.

Note: There is no oil in this cake and no additional liquid other than the liquid from the crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges.

No comments: