Lightest Lemonade

From Mel's Kitchen Cafe. This is a really light lemony sugar water rather than a true lemonade. I made this for a family dinner and my nieces were skeptical that it was lemonade because it looked like just plain water. After tasting the deliciousness, they gave it their seal of approval. Because this lemonade has natural ingredients, you don't get the weird aftertaste like you would with commercial mixes or canned beverages that contain high fructose corn syrup.

5 qts. water
2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp. citric acid
2 Tbsp. pure lemon extract
Crushed ice

In a large pitcher, stir together water, sugar, citric acid, and lemon extract until well combined. Add ice.

Notes: Best when served cold. I think it is best when made ahead and then stored in the refrigerator.

I found citric acid on the canning aisle (citric acid is used to maintain a safe pH level in the canning of fruit and vegetables).

For decorative effect, you may want to add sliced lemons and limes. I tried this, but I didn't like the pulp it added to the drink. If you add the lemons and limes, remove the slices before refrigerating if you have leftover punch. The limes and lemons will give the punch an overly sour/acidic taste if the punch is stored overnight that way.

No comments: