Decadent French Toast

The local newspaper recently featured the "What's Cooking" with Ruthie blog. After browsing through a few recipes, I bookmarked her site. The recipes look so delicious and I love her step-by-step picture instructions. It's so much easier (and reassuring!) to see what something is supposed to look like when you're making it for the first time. When I saw her post for this French toast, I knew what would be on the menu for Christmas morning...and I don't even like French toast. The best part is that you make it the night beforehand so there's no prep work in the morning.

12 slices of soft white bread (I used Dunford's)
4 oz. whipped cream cheese
1 stick butter, sliced
1/4 C. pancake syrup
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon (I used a heaping teaspoon)
6 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-3/4 C. milk (I used whole milk)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large casserole dish add sliced butter, syrup, and brown sugar. Place dish in oven and melt together for 5-7 minutes, or until caramelized, stirring once. Spread cream cheese on half of the bread slices. Place additional slice of bread on top of cream cheese to form a "cream cheese sandwich." Set aside. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with a wire whisk. Whisk in vanilla and milk.

When butter mixture is caramelized, remove casserole dish from oven. Put sandwiches in the dish. Sprinkle tops of sandwiches with cinnamon sugar mixture. Pour egg mixture over sandwiches. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve caramel side up. Top with berries, syrup, and sour cream.

No comments: