From Taste of Home. Very easy to make.
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/2 C. chopped onion
2 cans (16 oz. each) low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) low-sodium beef broth
1 can (16 oz.) crushed tomatoes
4 C. chopped cabbage
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, cook beef (or turkey) and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain.
In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup beans with 1/4 cup beef broth. Add to saucepan with remaining beans and broth, tomatoes, cabbage, and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
Notes: I often substitute dried onion flakes for chopped onion. I also used packaged sliced cabbage (typically used in coleslaw) rather than cutting up a head of cabbage. Next time I make this I may experiment with the seasonings. The stew was very good, but the seasonings make it taste a little too much like spaghetti.
No comments:
Post a Comment