I am trying to eat more healthy meals and one of the things I am watching is my sodium intake. Most of the time when I read nutrition labels, I only focus on the calories and fat. When I started looking at sodium content, I was shocked! I could not believe how much sodium is in canned vegetables and beans; things you would think would be healthy. In my search for more healthy recipes, I came across these pancakes from The Girl Who Ate Everything's website. I omitted the salt and added cinnamon. They were very tasty and hearty!
2 C. oats
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2-1/4 C. milk
2 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice
1 C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt, optional
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 C. vegetable or canola oil
2 eggs, beaten
Combine milk and vinegar or lemon juice. Let mixture stand for five minutes, or until milk appears to curdle. Add baking soda and oats to milk. Let stand overnight in refrigerator.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt (if using), and sugar. Add oil and eggs to the oats mixture and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the oats mixture and stir until blended. Cook on lightly greased griddle or skillet.
Makes about 12 pancakes.
Notes: I made the pancakes without including the baking soda with the oats and milk and there did not seem to be any discernable difference. The original recipe calls for 2-1/2 C. buttermilk instead of the milk and vinegar/lemon juice substitution. However, buttermilk is high in sodium and so I just included the substitution as part of the recipe. I also added about 2 tsp. cinnamon to the flour mixture for a little more flavor.
No comments:
Post a Comment