Brownies

This is the best brownie recipe ever. A version of this recipe was printed in a Betty Crocker "Cookbook for Two" that my parents received when they were married. Since our family never splurged on chocolate baking squares, we substituted cocoa and shortening for the baking squares. Then the recipe was doubled to accommodate our family of seven. I cannot even count the number of times my mom made this recipe for Relief Society. It seems like there were always pans of brownies in our house, but we were only allowed to eat the leftover edges! This is the first complicated from-scratch recipe I remember making. I also remember that the brownies turned out so rock-hard you could not even eat them. Since they were inedible, my brothers and sister decided to test if the brownies were harder than concrete by throwing pieces against the sidewalk. I kid you not--those brownies did not break. I cook the brownies a little better now.

11 Tbsp. cocoa
2/3 C. shortening
2 C. sugar
4 eggs
1-1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Melt shortening over low heat and add cocoa. Beat in sugar and eggs. Add other ingredients. Spread in greased and floured 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

No comments: