Buttercream Frosting

This is the very first recipe my mother taught me. I have had this recipe memorized since I was probably about nine years old. Sunday dinners at our house were often accompanied by a cake prepared from a cake mix, but the frosting was always homemade.

Vanilla Frosting:
2 C. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbsp. hot water or cold milk/half & half

In a medium bowl, mix butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar, and vanilla and mix until combined. While mixing, add water/milk a little at a time until frosting reaches the right consistency. Makes enough frosting for one 9x13-inch cake. Double the recipe for a layered cake.

Note: Because of the butter and vanilla, the frosting will be off-white in color. As a result, I usually only use the vanilla recipe when I am tinting it with a few drops of food coloring (for example, pink frosting on a cherry chip cake). Alternatively, consider using clear vanilla if you desire a white-colored frosting.

When making vanilla frosting, I would recommend using milk rather than water. When making chocolate frosting, use hot water for a dark-chocolate flavor or milk/half & half for a milk-chocolate flavor (the half & half will make a fluffier frosting than just plain milk).

Variation: For chocolate frosting, stir in 3 Tbsp. cocoa and a pinch of salt.

No comments: