Caramel Popcorn

I got this recipe from a community education cooking class I took when I was about 10. My sister was mad at me for a long time because I got to go to this class and she didn't. The class was held at the local junior high school and I thought it was so cool to go this kitchen with about eight ovens and sinks. While I didn't know anyone else in my class, the group I was assigned to ended up winning the best team award because we worked so well together. I still cook several of the recipes from this class. Here is one of my favorites.

1 C. margarine
2 C. brown sugar
1 C. light corn syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
6-8 quarts popped popcorn

In a large saucepan, combine margarine, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and boil for 3-5 minutes. Add baking soda and vanilla. Stir (the baking soda will make the mixture frothy so make sure to use a large pan). Pour caramel mixture over popped popcorn.

Note: This caramel popcorn makes perfect Christmas gifts for neighbors. Put the caramel popcorn in cellophane bags and tie the tops with ribbon.

No comments: